World Engineering Day for Sustainable Development is a new celebration that from 2020 onward will be on the 4th of March every year. It is a UNESCO international day for engineers and engineering. It is an opportunity to recognise the contributions made by engineers to sustainable development and modern life.
It is also an opportunity to highlight the UN Sustainable Development goals (SDG’s) and the impact that innovative engineering can have on them.
For the IMV Technologies group, we are wholeheartedly focused on designing products that improve animal care standards across the world. To see improvements on the SDG’s that are focused around our food supply chains, we must care for our production animals.
How does our industry impact the environment?
Throughout the years, as we have been equipped with more and more data, we have continually invested in designing innovative products that will make a real difference on farm in terms of how animals are cared for, in turn improving productivity. The more productive your farm animals are, the less of them you need to feed our ever-growing populations.
We have picked out just a few of the SDG’s to highlight the impact that our industry has across the world and where it is vital we all play our part to make a difference.
Sustainable development goals
By 2030, ensure sustainable food production systems and implement resilient agricultural practices that increase productivity and production, that help maintain ecosystems, that strengthen capacity for adaptation to climate change, extreme weather, drought, flooding and other disasters and that progressively improve land and soil quality.
By 2030, halve per capita global food waste at the retail and consumer levels and reduce food losses along production and supply chains, including post-harvest losses.
Encourage companies, especially large and transnational companies, to adopt sustainable practices and to integrate sustainability information into their reporting cycle
What are we doing to make a difference?
The IMV Technologies group put Corporate Social Responsibility at the forefront of our business operations, and how we manage our day to day waste. Below are just some of the sustainable activities we have undertaken already, with many more to come, to help create and develop a sustainable future, through innovative engineering.
- Data connectivity – enabling better informed decisions which lead to production efficiencies.
- 0% waste manufacturing at our Polysem plant. The development of the first CE accredited fully compostable glove.
- Leading the industry on low power operated ultrasound systems, with the lowest consumption and power usage in the world – reduced 25% from legacy systems.
- Automation of own manufacturing, reducing waste and increasing capacity and yield.
- Development of diagnostic imaging systems that use Artificial Intelligence to ensure every Artificial Insemination dose is taken, reducing the number of insemination straws required.