Free Download: Elbow – lateral canine x-ray positioning guide
Download your free positioning guide!
- Position dog in lateral recumbency, lying on the side you want to X-ray
- Pull other leg back and secure
- Use cotton wool or foam pads to ensure radius and humerus are parallel to the plate
- Centre over humeral condyle and collimate to 1/3rd of the way along the radius/ulna distally and 1/3rd of the way along the humerus proximally; this can be extended further if a fracture is suspected
- Elbow should be in a neutral position, i.e. flexion of around 90°
- Ensure L/R marker is in primary beam.
What to look for
- Ensure condyles are superimposed – have a feel as you position the dog, and ensure centred right over them.
- Cotton wool is great for lateral elbow positioning, as can be shaped to provide right level of support